- Financial Services
- Other Industries
- Telecommunications / Security
- Online Analytics
- OEM Partners
This is an extract from the full case study that you can download below. Click here to watch the video about why JDSU is using Infobright.
JDSU (NASDAQ: JDSU; and TSX: JDU) innovates and markets diverse technologies that enhance the way people experience the world every day. Their products enable fast, high-quality communications, secure financial transactions, reliable consumer electronics, green energy, differentiated brands, and a host of other solutions. JDSU's annual revenues exceeded $1.3B in 2010, and their 4700 employees are based in over 80 locations worldwide.
In the communications sector, JDSU offers instruments, systems, software, services, and integrated solutions that help communications service providers, equipment manufacturers, and major communications users maintain their competitive advantage. Within the extensive JDSU product portfolio is a suite of Service Assurance solutions that ensure high quality of experience (QoE) for wireless voice, data, messaging, and billing. These products are used by many of the world's largest network operators.
Overview download as pdf
Ensuring high quality of service to customers requires network operators to be able to identify problems and their root cause very quickly. Doing this within the vast volume of data generated every day is a challenge. Equally important is the need to do so without adding high costs from ever-expanding assurance solution hardware infrastructure, such as servers and storage, and from high administrative overhead in the form of expensive database administration costs.
The JDSU Session Trace application, and supporting TDR-Store component, ensures quality of service for mobile networks by enabling network operators to quickly identify network issues and pinpoint the source. Recognizing the challenge with data growth and the need to contain costs, JDSU set out to deliver a new version of their Session Trace TDR-Store component.
JDSU's objective was to meet the following goals:
- Support very fast load speeds to keep up with increasing call volume and the need for near real-time data access.
- Reduce the amount of physical disk capacity required by 5x, enabling more data to be stored.
- Significantly reduce overall database licensing costs.
- Eliminate their customers' "DBA tax," which meant that the new solution should require zero maintenance or tuning while enabling flexible analysis.
- Continue to deliver the fast query response needed by Network Operations Center (NOC) personnel when troubleshooting issues and supporting up to 200 simultaneous users.
In order to meet these goals, a decision needed to be made in regard to the underlying database. After investigating the available database options on the market, JDSU decided to test Infobright's high-performance analytic database. Initial testing showed promising results, and Infobright® Enterprise Edition (IEE) was given the green light.
The challenge that JDSU put before Infobright was to capture and enable near real-time analysis of huge volumes of data traversing some of the world's largest carrier networks, at lower cost and without DBA administration efforts. We worked together as true partners, and met the specific goals that JDSU had set.
- Graham Toppin, VP Engineering, Infobright
The Session Trace application supports a broad set of network protocols, including the latest generation of 4G/LTE networks. Call / session record data streams in at high speeds and populates multiple Infobright instances, based on geographic regions. The application includes a Web-based front end that passes information to a query generator, which then sends the query to the appropriate database instance. For deployment at Tier 1 network operators, each site will store between 6 and 45 TB of data,and the total data volume will typically range from 700 TB to 1PB of data.
By using Infobright, JDSU achieved the following results:
- Met the needs of the largest wireless carriers that require each database instance to ingest data at rates of up to 20,000 TDRs per second (or up to 40,000 database rows per second.)
- Infobright’s deep data compression delivered a 5x space reduction. This was one important factor in significantly lowering the total cost of ownership. In some situations, it also enables customers to choose less expensive internal server storage rather than external arrays, further reducing capital costs associated with the Session Trace application.
- Reduced Total Cost of Ownership:
- The reduction in capital costs from reduced physical storage and the ability to use less expensive internal server storage represent just part of the overall savings from using Infobright.
- A key contributor to high total cost of database ownership is operational expenses arising from the need for expensive, skilled resources like database administrators (DBAs) to maintain and tune the database. Eliminating the need for JDSU customers to use DBA resources results in significant cost reduction.
- Infobright’s licensing costs provide substantial savings for both enterprises and OEMs. JDSU achieved an approximate 3x reduction in database licensing costs compared to their previous TDR-Store design.
Download the full case study to read more of the details.
Using Infobright allowed JDSU to meet the aggressive goals we set for our new product release: reducing storage and increasing data history retention by 5x, significantly reducing costs, and meeting the fast data load rate and query performance needed by the world’s largest network operators.
- Chuck Gruber, Principal Architect, JDSU
The key benefit of using Infobright is improved marketing efficiency and effectiveness.
A New Approach
The Analytic Data Warehouse
Traditional data warehouse products put a tremendous burden on IT in order to create and maintain an environment that will allow users to query against large volumes of data.